2023 CAPEES/UCEEF Frontier Research Award, 05/2023.
2022 40 under 40 Recognition Program for American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists, 11/2022.
2019 CAPEES/Nanova Young Investigator Award, 04/2019.
2018 GW SEAS Outstanding Junior Researcher Award, 04/2018.
2015 Civil and Environmental Engineering Professor of the Year, The Engineer's Council at GW, 02/2015.
Dr. Danmeng Shuai
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
School of Engineering and Applied Science
The George Washington University
Executive Editor, Journal of Hazardous Materials
Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The George Washington University, 2019-Present
Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The George Washington University, 2013-2019
Postdoc, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The University of Iowa, 2012-2013
Ph.D. Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2012
M.E. Environmental Engineering, Tsinghua University, China, 2007
B.E. Environmental Engineering, Tsinghua University, China, 2005
Major Sponsored Research Projects
- PI: Partnership: Development of Single- and Double-Atom Catalysts for Treating Agricultural Wastewater, $728,000, 01/2022-01/2025. USDA-NIFA
- Co-PI: Partnership: Biomass-based Nanocomposite Electrodes with Insertion Materials for Desalinating Brackish Agricultural Drainage, $169,812, 01/2022-12/2025. USDA-NIFA
- PI: Persistence and Inactivation of Vesicle-Cloaked Enteric Virus Clusters in Agricultural Reuse Water, $750,000, 01/2022-12/2024. USDA-NIFA
- PI: Vesicle-Cloaked Virus Clusters as Emerging Pathogens: Will They Challenge Current Disinfection Paradigm? $489,586, 09/2021-08/2023. NIH
- Consultant: Novel Quantitative Methods for Indigenous Viruses in Wastewater: Improving the Assessment of Water Reuse Treatment Performance, $12,500, 08/2021-08/2024. EPA
- Co-PI: Development of a Visible-Light-Responsive Antimicrobial Packaging System for Improving Food Quality and Safety, $94,500, 01/2021-12/2023. USDA-NIFA
- PI: Collaborative Research: Presence, Persistence, and Inactivation of Vesicle-Cloaked Rotavirus or Norovirus Clusters in Water, $220,000, 09/2020-08/2023. NSF
- PI: Collaborative Research: Bioinspired Catalysts with Earth-Abundant Metals for Reductive Treatment of Waterborne Contaminants, $110,000, 06/2020-05/2023. NSF
- PI: RAPID: Collaborative Research: Electrospun Nanofibrous Air Filters for Coronavirus Control, $70,000, 05/2020-04/2021. NSF
- STTR Partner: Nanoporous Carbon Nitride Photocatalyst Based Water Recovery System, $40,000, 08/2019-08/2020. NASA-STTR Phase I
- Co-PI: Collaborative Research: Interactions between Photoreactive 2D Nanomaterials and Biofilms, $171,721, 08/2019-07/2022. NSF
- PI: I-Corps: Visible-light-responsive Graphitic Carbon Nitride for Air and Water Purification and Antimicrobial Applications, $50,000, 09/2018-02/2020. NSF
- PI: Collaborative Research: Integrated Experimental and Computational Studies for Understanding the Interplay of Photoreactive Materials and Persistent Contaminants, $310,000, 07/2018-06/2021. NSF
- Co-PI: Synergistic Integration of the Biogranulation Theory into Advanced Membrane Bioreactors for Value-Added Chemicals Production from Food Waste, $93,517, 07/2018-06/2021. USDA-NIFA
- PI: Development of Graphitic-Carbon-Nitride-Based Antimicrobial Nanomaterials for Safe Food Processing and Packaging, $450,200, 07/2017-06/2021. USDA-NIFA
- PI: SusChEM: Collaborative Research: Development of Multifunctional Reactive Electrochemical Membranes for Biomass Recovery with Fouling Reduction, Water Reuse, and Cell Pretreatment, $166,000, 09/2016-08/2020. NSF
- PI: SusChEM: Collaborative Research: Development and Application of Piezoelectric Nanoheterostructures to Reduce the Chemical and Energy Demand of Water Treatment, $205,999, 09/2014-08/2018. NSF